A Providence man is in jail after leading police on a chase during which officers fired at the man and he may have shot at them.

While on patrol last Wednesday afternoon, Providence police officers Michael Tabor and Isaac Frias noticed a gold Ford Taurus on Gulf Street they suspected was being driven by Jessie James Gobin, 47 of Princeton, who was wanted on multiple felony arrest warrants.

Police chief Todd Jones attempted to perform a traffic stop, but the vehicle accelerated and fled onto Highway 120 west towards Green Grove, managing to lose contact with police, who broke off pursuit.

A few minutes later, law enforcement once again made contact with the vehicle, which was headed back into Providence. Tabor and Frias again attempted to initiate a traffic stop, but were ignored. The vehicle turned east onto Cedar Street and then south onto Bellville Road. Officers pursued the vehicle as far as Bellville Bridge, where it stopped due to flood waters being over the roadway.

The driver, now identified as Gobin, exited the vehicle and retrieved an AR-15 rifle from the trunk of the car. He then took aim at Tabor’s cruiser, forcing the officer to abandon his car and take cover.

Police say Gobin then reentered his vehicle, turned around and fled north. As he drove past the Providence cruiser, he reportedly had the AR-15 aimed out the window of the vehicle, searching for officer Tabor’s position.

At that time Tabor fired on Gobin, who accelerated away, leaving behind a passenger who fled the vehicle.

Chase Copeland, 32 of Providence, was detained by officer Frias, but was not charged.

Tabor pursued Gobin north on Bellville Road, until the suspect attempted to drive through the front yard of a residence to reach Jennings Cemetery Road, at which point the vehicle came to a stop due to a blown tire.

Gobin then fled into the woods with his rifle, managing to escape from police.

PPD initiated a manhunt, with assistance from Kentucky State Police, the Webster County Sheriff’s Department, the Crittenden Sheriff’s Department, the Providence Public Works Department and public works director David May.

Gobin eventually surrendered without any further problems. When taken into custody he was in possession of a Remington 223 caliber AR-15, 15 loaded 30-round magazines, a Full Tang Spear Fixed Blade Knife and a military magazine pouch.

Gobin was charged with outstanding felony warrants from Hopkins County for second degree assault-domestic violence, first degree unlawful imprisonment and violation of a Kentucky EPO/DVO.

Police report that Gobin was not charged with firing on police because, although they believed he had opened fire on Tabor’s cruiser, they could find no evidence at the scene that he had done so.

The charges from this incident included first degree feeling from police (motor vehicle), first degree fleeing from police (on foot), two counts of wanton endangerment and being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm.

He was housed at the Webster County jail.